To make her costume I looked though the women's nightgowns, housecoats, and robes at the Salvation Army to find the perfect thing to craft into her Buttercup dress. Because Buttercup's dress has really flowy, droopy sleeves, I knew that a women's size dress would work.
Once I found the perfect 'dress', I cut it off on the bottom and hemmed it up. Then I found some shiny, gold fabric at Joann's to make a sash to tie around her waist. I just measured out how long I wanted it, sewed it into a tube, turned it inside out, then sewed it up at the end. Pretty rudimentary, but it gets the job done.
I sewed another tube with the gold fabric and slid it onto a headband to make Buttercup's headpiece. I hot glued it onto the headband in a few places just to be sure it wasn't going anywhere, and so that it would be bunched up "just right"!
Throw on some boots and you're good to go!
It was fun to have the whole family dressed up together. It was the first time we've done that! Hubby was Vizzini, "the inconceivable guy", and I was Valerie, Miracle Max's wife. Everyone got a kick out of our costumes.
It was an awesome Halloween. We had a great time together as a family. I'm glad the kids decided to dress in themed costumes and convinced us to play along!