I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser. #CollectiveBias
Hi! It's Jilly. Things have been crazy lately with me going back to school, so I needed a quick and easy family meal that the kids would actually eat!
Then the wheels started turning and I realized...these would be perfect for making sweet and sour chicken! Yessss!
This is seriously so easy it's kind of ridiculous.
Pineapple Sweet & Sour Chicken
20-25 Tyson Batter Dipped Chicken Breast Tenders
1 onion, diced
2 medium bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained- reserve the juice!
4 TB sweet and sour sauce
1 cup brown rice (3 cups cooked)
Olive Oil, for sauteing the veggies
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees for the chicken*. Start cooking the rice in your rice cooker, or whatever your favorite rice cooking method is.
2) Chop up the onion and bell peppers. Arrange chicken tenders in single layer on cookie sheet. Once oven is preheated, place the chicken in the oven and set timer for 12-15 minutes.
3) Over med-high heat, saute the onions in a little bit of olive oil. Once the onions are soft, add the bell peppers. After a minute or two add the drained pineapple.
4) Add sweet and sour sauce to the pan and stir. Then add about half of the reserved pineapple juice to deglaze the pan. If you like more sauce, add all the pineapple juice and let it simmer and thicken till it's to the right consistency.
5) Add cooked chicken tenders to the pan and stir. Serve over a bed of rice. Enjoy!
*My husband likes the chicken cooked in the deep fryer better. It makes it a little more crispy. I liked it cooked in the oven better. So, to each their own!
I think it turned out pretty good! The kids gobbled it right up and said, "Mom , this is the best dinner!". So, make this yummy Pineapple Sweet & Sour Chicken and be a dinnertime hero!
Oh! And, there's a coupon for the chicken tenders in this Sunday's paper! (2/9/14) Saving money...yay! Makes this cheap dinner even cheaper!
What's your favorite quick and easy weeknight dinner?